The "keys" to your success are right at your fingertips.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Must Have Paper

In this digital world where everyone is trying to "Go Green" and be "paperless," I would argue that there are some things that should always be printed. Maybe I'm old fashioned, because there are digital forms of some of these items, but they just don't feel the same as the paper version.

  1. Business Cards. I understand networking on-line is what all the hip business executives are doing, but face to face marketing still has its place. You could probably e-mail someone your digital card from your cell phone, but it seems very disconnected.
  2. Thank You Cards. Again, I understand that you can call someone and thank them or even e-mail them. However, if you have ever received a thank you card in the mail from someone, you know that somehow it means much more. Maybe because it feels like they went through the extra trouble of handwriting you a personal note.
  3. Other Greeting Cards. Along the same lines as the thank you cards, they just seem to make the recipient feel more special. Although e-cards can be personalized, whenever I've received one, I feel as though the sender threw it together at the last minute. Sending a card in the mail takes planning. You have to think about what you are going to say, because you can't backspace. You also may have to think about it several days ahead of time to make sure the card arrives on time, like for birthdays.
  4. Stamps. Well, if you are going to mail cards, you are going to need stamps. I still have not quite figured out buying postage on line. Maybe because it seems like a lot of work, when you can just slap a stamp on it and go. Let's face it, if you are taking the extra time to write out cards, this is a way you could make up that time.
  5. Paper Plates. I just think digital plates that you eat off of are wrong. Seriously, though, I realize you can use real dishes and silverware to save some trees. Although, then you'll be wasting water to wash the dishes, so in my mind, it is a toss-up. However, I really do think there will always be a time and place for the disposable version. I don't really need fine china for my toast.
Jennifer Simons is the owner of Girl Monday, a virtual assistant and consulting business in Sioux Falls, SD.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Jen

    Your post made me smile. Still trying to work out what to do with all the business cards that I have collected though.

    Nicky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotta say, my experience with the whole paperless movement has been an increased use of paper for the dumbest reasons. Printing emails, printing articles....you name it. But I agree with you about the Thank You cards and such. Sometimes, paper usage is properly justified.

    - Gutmeister

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to start a movement to save the art of letter-writing for a couple of years now! I hope someone writes back - and not in an email :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicky - You can scan them into your Outlook contacts or use an old-fashioned Roladex. Believe it or not, they still make them. If you prefer to keep them with you, they also make books that look like a portfolio that you can add pages to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gutmeister - Believe it or not, when I worked as an executive administrative assistant a few years ago, the gal that I replaced printed EVERY e-mail she ever received and filed it in white two pocket folders. She had three full 4-drawer file cabinets FULL. I threw everything out without even looking at it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taslim - What a great idea! My daughter told me yesterday that she wants to get a pen-pal. So, if anyone knows of a safe way to find one, I would love the info.

    ReplyDelete