The "keys" to your success are right at your fingertips.

Friday, January 6, 2012

What I Hate About Your Web Site - Part I

It seems that every small business has bought into the idea that in order to succeed, they need to have a web site. I don't disagree with that thought. However, I will take it one step further and say that in order to be successful, you need to have a web site that is pleasing to the eye, easy to navigate, contains updated information, and is completely functional. Poorly designed web sites are one of my biggest pet peeves for the following reasons:

  1. When I first click on a link that looks relevant to what I am researching, I have high expectations that I will be able to find everything I'm looking for in one place and not have to go any further. Naive, I know, but I keep hoping.
  2. If that first click brings me to a page with obnoxious color combinations, I hit the back button faster than you can say "eye strain." Light colored text on a white background is impossible to read, but I am still surprised by how many sites still continue to do this. Black backgrounds are a big turn-off for me, regardless of text color. However, I understand that is a personal preference and not necessarily taboo.
  3. I understand that ads pay the bills, but too many ads, especially ones that are not relevant to the business, are distracting potential customers from the main message. How will you promote your own business, when you are so busy promoting everyone else's?
  4. Poor grammar and misspelled words also distract from the main message. Although I recognize that not everyone is as picky about these errors as I am, I believe it is preferable to be taken seriously as a professional by everyone who visits your web site.
  5. Calendars and news stories that are not updated make me think that the company I am looking at may no longer be in business. I don't care that you made the local paper in 2008, and I don't care about a coupon that expired three months ago.

Believe it or not, there's more. Stay tuned for Part Two of What I Hate About Your Web Site.


No comments:

Post a Comment